Rails used to be about simplicity. I just started a new project in Rails 2.3. Here's all the choices I'm now faced with:
- Database: MySQL, PostgreSQL
- Testing: Test/Unit, RSpec, Shoulda, Context/Matchy, minitest
- Mocking: Mocha, FlexMock, RR
- Templates: HTML/ERb, Markaby, HAML, Erector
- Authentication: restful_authentication, Clearance
- Web Server: Apache, Nginx
- App Server: Mongrel, Thin, Passenger
It's been about a year since I rolled out a greenfield project. Options are nice, but this feels like Java! And those options are just off the top of my head - I wrote them down in less than a minute without even thinking about it.
Admittedly, it's pretty easy for me to make choices for all these things. I have enough experience that I don't have to spend much time pondering. But for someone new to Rails this all must seem pretty intimidating.
I guess this is why Rails 2.3 has app templates now. Just in time!
Now who has a good template for a quicky open-source app?